Re: Latest on MGB vibrations

To: paulg@cme.nist.gov
Subject: Re: Latest on MGB vibrations
From: rgb@hal.com (Roger Bolick)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 92 10:00:39 CST
I have had the bolts loosen on the half shafts next to the
U-Joints causing strange vibration at highway speeds.  This
seems to disappear upon load, but returns at steady trottle.
I bought new nyloc nuts the next time!  I don't want to know
what happens if these fall out at highway speeds, losing a
front U-Joint years ago was enough fun for a lifetime.

Unless you can see and get to the U-Joints, my attempts at
identifying bad ones has been dismal.  On the TR6, I found
2 bad ones (broken bearings) upon removal of the shafts,
after repeated attempts to identify the bad U-Joint via
observation failed.  You just can't get to these joints
without pulling the shafts.  Grease the splines while you're
at it (the powder you see isn't graphite lube...) and replace
the spline boot.

This vibration was very speed sensitive 50 - 60 mph.

Roger