Synthetic Oil

To: BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net
Subject: Synthetic Oil
From: Dave 'Software God' Van Horn <spitfire?DaveVH@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 92 18:55:48 PST
PATRICK KREJCIK asks:

> Whatever happened to the argument I tried to start about synthetic
engine oils. Castrol sells one for 4 times the price of XL. Is it worth
it? Is it SOL endorsed?

Well, what little I know about oil convinced me of the worth of
synthetic oils, especially the new Castrol.  I put Castrol Syntec in my
Lotus's fresh engine when I removed the break-in oil.  Ten minutes
later a problem with an oil filter expensively rust-proofed my garage
floor, but other than that I've had no problems in the first hundred
miles.  At my usual driving rate, I should be able to give you a report
on wear in five or six years.

BTW, someone was talking about oil pressure.  My oil guage shows 80-90
lbs psi cold, and when warm it shows 75 lbs psi at speed and 40-50 lbs
psi at idle.  Other TC owners may recognize these as pretty high -- the
stock oil pressure guage only reads to 50!.  But I replaced the oil
pump with a high-capacity pump (and a higher-reading gauge) a few years
back.  One of the best peace-of-mind investments I ever made.

Dave Van Horn   davevh@microsoft.com