Alternator Wiring

To: GORIN_JOE/HP5300_A0@opnmail2.corp.hp.com
Subject: Alternator Wiring
From: John Wroclawski <jtw@lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 93 16:37:51 -0400
   From: GORIN_JOE/HP5300_A0@opnmail2.corp.hp.com

   Original regulators and the wiring harness are
   configured for remote sensing of the battery voltage, so that
   if the resistance of the wiring to the battery, including the
   connector from the alternator, is high, the regulator compensates.
   The replacement regulator senses its output locally, as is
   common automotive practice.

   I don't know whether this applies to the replacement GM alternator,
   but I understand that a break in the remote sensing wire is a
   common problem in TR8s, causing overvoltage.

I recently installed the official Lucas replacement regulator
(purchased from TRF) for this (TR7 25ACR) alternator in my car. It is
remote sensing. This is a win, since aside from better regulation you
will get some protection against broken battery cables and bad
connections.

The original regulator contains circuitry which provides overvoltage
protection in the case of a broken remote sense wire. Whether it
always works or not I don't know.

One possibility you don't mention is a broken internal battery
connection. This happens sometimes when someone forces the posts
sideways, and causes a hairline crack between the post and the
internal connector. Vibration can then momentarily disconnect the
battery, and the load transient can sometimes damage the alternator.

                                -john
John Wroclawski
jtw@lcs.mit.edu