Re: Tire Circumference ?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire Circumference ?
From: TJ_Jerome@tallysys.com
Date: 16 Nov 93 13:28
Flemming Larsen writes >

>My rims are marked: "4 1/2J-13" (standard Lotus Elan steel wheels)
>Are 165-13 tires the correct size for those wheels?

and Phil Ethier replies >>

>>Yes, the BFG formula gives the industry measuring rim for 165 tires
>>as 4.55", so I think you ought to be OK with 165 or 155 section
>>tires.  I can't imagine you want 145's.

And my 2 cents is:

My S3 Elan had its front wheel arches damaged by running 155SR13 tires.
On full right or left lock and under bump conditions (easily achieved by
turning into my driveway from the road), the outer tread comes in contact
with the arch, and tears out a 1/2" by 3" section. This never happened
when I ran the stock 145s. I have recently found, though, that more
modern low-profile tires will clear the arches. I'm running 165/70s now
with no problem. I suspect the S4 Elan, with its wider arches, won't be
bothered by this problem, but all other series will.

Ted
| TJ (Ted) Jerome   Tally Systems Corp.  603-643-1300 x220 |
| Hanover, New Hampshire, USA                              |
| 68 Elan S3 Super Safety Coupe  36/7679                   |
| TJ_Jerome@TallySys.com                                   |