re: front spring compressor for MGB

To: british-cars%autox.team.net@hoosier
Subject: re: front spring compressor for MGB
From: peters@thor.li.Cubic.COM
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 1994 10:43:20 EST
atf@scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au (Arthur Freeman ) writes:

>> Subject: front Spring Compressor for MGB

>> Following the thread started by Daniel on the front suspension coil
>> spring compressor for his TR4A, I have the same problem with the MGB GT.

I bought the suspension spring compression tool from Victoria British
(about $18.00 +/- plus shipping).  It is really designed to work from the
outside of the spring but I found that it works all right from the inside.
The tool consists of two threaded rods with hooks on the top and bottom
to hook over the spring.  (I do not have the thing in front of me so I am
working from memory.)  A nut on the bottom of each threaded rod tightens
and loosens the setup.  I used it by hooking the top hook on each rod
over one loop of the spring from the inside as far up as I could
get it to fit.  Then I hooked the bottom hook under the spring pan.
I tighted each nut, trying to keep the tension on both sides even,
until the spring was loose enough for me to remove the spring pan.

Peter Schauss                           email:  schauss@cubic.com
1980 MGB (hibernating until all of this snow melts)