Re: front Spring Compressor for MGB

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: front Spring Compressor for MGB
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 1994 18:18:03 -0500 (EST)

> First: PhileE, where was that disclaimer you included about how if
> you get killed, it's your own damn fault?  I need to borrow it... :-)

Looks like I'm gonna need it also. :>

> Use a good, large, solid floor jack (buy one if you don't have it, you
> will thank yourself every time you get under the car) and compress the
> suspension by only an inch or two, just to support it.
>
> Remove the big castellated nut (don't forget the cotter pin) at the
> top of the kingpin.

> So that's the tip.  Don't bother with the spring compressor, as even
> the factory book recommends the previous procedure to remove and install
> front coil springs on MGBs.  (Presumably also on As and TD/TF cars as
> well, which used the same suspension.)  And of course, be sure to RTFM
> to make sure that I haven't forgotten an important point in the three
> years or so it's been since I've done this job.
>
> --Scott

Well Scott, it's only been about three days since I last did this job. Let
me add a few things.

 Always remove the brake caliper. Never mind the preservation of the brake
hose, the reduction in weight is worth the effort. Assuming the lower
trunnion isn't seized, the kigpin assy is really going to want to flop around.
I usually remove the brake rotor and hub as well. Tis a good time to check
and repack the bearings.

 Remove the grease fitting for the lower trunnion. I've broken several off
with the floorjack saddle. It's a helluva lot easier to get out when whole,
so do it before applying jack pressure.

  If the kingpin is to come apart, go ahead and remove the cotter and loosen
the big castlated nut at the top of the kingpin. But do NOT remove it. The
assembly will not come apart cleanly the way Scott described. The kingpin
has a rather large notch cut in it to clear the rubber bushings in the upper
trunnion. If you try to slide the kingpin out of the trunnion housing with
the bushings in place, it will either not come apart, or it will grudgingly
do so as it shreads the upper bushings.
  After removing everything else, and loading the spring with the floorjack,
loosen the 3/8-24 nut and bolt in the middle of the upper arms; the one
that holds the two arm halfs together. Then, remove the bolt that goes
through the upper trunnion bushings. This bolt may be stuck in the bushing's
steel sleeves. Do not beat on the threaded end. Use a hammer and small
chisel to wedge the bolt head away from the control arm. Once you have it
out a little bit by wedging, you can drive it out by the back of the head.

   Everything else is as described by Scott, especially the RTFM part. :>

   Randy
     randy@taylor.wyvern.oom