MGB SPRINGS AND O.D. NOTES

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB SPRINGS AND O.D. NOTES
From: wade@ops.tridom.com (Wade Massengil)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 94 16:31:30 EST
Greasings and Lubrications all...

        TeriAnn writes about her OD problem...first...NEVER PUT THE CAR INTO
REVERSE WITH THE OD ENGAGED!!! But, you know that...

        Second, the od is engauged electricaly (sic-sic) and it sounds to me
like the 3rd/4th gear detect switch on the transmission is flaky, tending to
stick when hot. To prove it, drive the car untill the problem begins to occur,
then pull the wire off the 3rd/4th gear detect switch. the solonoid should then
drop out if the switch is the problem. All of this is predicated on the notion
that I understand what I thought you said about the problem...:)

        If the problem is not electrical (easy,cheap) then its mechanical (not
easy, not cheap) :{

        I renewed my MGB front end recently, along with most of the rest of the
car. I used a deviant of the floor jack under the pan method.
        a. put the front end up on jack stands and chock.
        b. put the hydraulic floor jack, the kind that look like alligators,
           under the pan.
        c. run a chain over the front crossmember and under the shock arm.
           I had to buy a chain for the purpose as this space is quite tight.
           secure the chain to the frame of the floor jack.
        d. attach the chain to both sides of the floor jack frame. Do this with
           little hooks that have a clevis pin to attach them to the chain at
           any point. You will want to have a minimun of slack in your chain.
           I purchased 6 feet of chain so I could use my chain and hooks for
           engine pulls, ect.
        e. raising the jack arm will compress the entire suspension, you can
           undo the shock arm or remove the shock from the crossmember. The
           whole kingpin and shock assembly then "hinges" out into the floor.
           (Actually, it winds up on top of the jack)
        f. stand to the side and very slowly lower the jack arm.
        g. to reassemble, go backwards. I had to encourage my springs back
           into place prior to compressing them with a rubber mallet. No
           big deal. I spent $6.50 for my chain and hooks.

All of this wonderful technical advice from a guy who's never heard his car run,
much less driven the thing. BUT THE BODY LOOKS GREAT!

Wade

If everybody has one, it`s not a sports car.