Re-spraying questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re-spraying questions
From: sga1@ukc.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 94 16:21:17 +0000
I need to do some panel work on my car and consequently a few panels
will need respraying.  I plan to do this myself but I've never used
a spray gun and compressor before.  Do I need to connect some sort
of filter to the air supply before connecting the spray gun?  The
compressor is a 2HP with a 25 ltr tank and is supposed to have a
displacement flow of 9 cfm and free air supply of about 7 cfm. Is
there any sort of spray gun that I can't use? (obviously I can't use
anything with a large nozzle). Can anyone recommend a good sray gun
for a beginner?

The car has been resprayed before in metallic silver and most probably
with two pack paint.  I've heard that two pack paint should only be
used with breathing apparatus, so what sort of paint should I use to
achieve a good match in terms of finish?  Does anybody use two pack
without a fresh air supply?

I also have an old (28 years old) Mini with mostly original paint but
I can't get it to shine very much even after much polishing. Could I
spray it with a coat of lacquer? If so, what sort?

All answers are greatly appreciated.

Steve.