La Carrera 1994, pt. 1 (history)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: La Carrera 1994, pt. 1 (history)
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 94 16:22:33 PST

                                                       carrera4

     Well, since two weeks from today the Magic Arrow Racing team
will be en route to Ensenada B.C. (Baja California), to compete in
the 9th Annual La Carrera Classic Road Race, I figure now is a good
time to begin getting the cars ready, or at least write about it.
     For those of you have have been on the list awhile you
probably remember the escapades of our racing adventures south of
the border, which involves me in my Bugeye and my co-hort Paul
driving a Shelby Charger Turbo, but if not, appended below is a
piece I wrote a few years back.

          As promised, here it is- the first in a sporadic
     series of my annual attempt at readying Redcar for our
     annual high-speed (relative, that is) run across
     Mexico, that is .... The La Carrera Classic Road Race !

     History: First run in 1950 to promote tourism and the
     completion of the Pan American highway through Mexico,
     this first Carrera Panamericana (as it was called
     then), encompassed nearly 2,200 miles and was won by
     Herschel McGriff driving an Oldsmobile at an avg. speed
     of over 77 mph. The following four years ran slighty
     shorter in length (1,934 miles), but vastly higher in
     speed as the European teams began to compete. As could
     be expected with the unregulated nature of the event,
     fatalities ran high, with 20 lives (drivers as well as
     spectators) being claimed during it's five year life.
     The last "true" Carrera Panamericana was run in 1954
     and was won by Umberto Maglioli (Ferrari) with an avg.
     speed of 107.93 mph.
          Fast forward 30 + years: Spurred by the recent
     interest in vintage racing cars, a group of affecianados
     known as Vintage Racing (VR), began laying the plans to
     run a 1980's version of the Carrera, only this time
     it would be much shorter in length (~124 miles from Ensenada
     to San Felipe on hwy 3), and much higher in speed.
     Unfortunately this venture got off to a rocky start, as their
     regulations then allowed inexperienced drivers with
     very fast cars to compete, and several fatalities occurred
     in the first year.
          Exit VR and enter Loyal Truesdale as organiser
     and a new set of regulations which allowed only race-prepared
     pre-1967 automobiles to compete and paid much closer
     attention to the qualifications of the drivers. (A provision
     was made to allow post-1967 cars as long as their direct
     lineage is traceable to pre-'67. Ex: your 91* series
     Porsche is OK). Enter  "Racing for the fun of it" as their
     slogan and safety, not speed, as their priority. (I believe
     this is also about the time the Pan-Am started up again as
     well, in all of it's 1,800 + miles of splendor.)
          The Carrera events quickly matured, were fine-tuned, and
     still goes on, now as the La Carrera Classic, the La Carrera
     Pan America in October, and the La Carrera de Paz, (a long
     distance rallye thru Argentina). The Classic now consists of
     several top speed runs (one 7-mile straightaway!), as well
     some rallye sections aimed at keeping your velocity down in
     the dangerous parts. There have been a few mishaps, and there
     will continue to be as long as motor sports are run, but
     overall this event is a beauty. You get the impression of
     competition as it was, marque vs. marque, and the feeling of
     tearing through the picturesque Mexican countryside, your
     pride & joy singing it's well tuned song, is one that's beyond
     description. Just do it.

          Our History:

     "Redcar" as it's affectionately known, in a 1959
     Austin-Healey Sprite MkI (Bugeye). I purchased her on
     Thanksgiving weekend in 1985, in worn but original
     condition. Since then she has been gone thru tip to
     tail, with the following upgrades; The original 948cc
     engine was replaced with the 1275cc version, now sporting a
     side-draught 40DC0E Weber, headers, Lucas full
     mechanical distributor, lightened & balanced clutch
     assy., electric fan, and oil cooler w/thermostat.
     The suspension has been completely rebuilt utilizing a front
     sway bar, higher rate springs & urethane bushings in front,
     front disc brakes, MkIII rear brakes, braided steel brake
     lines, longer wheel studs, spacer plates 5/8" front, 3/4" rear
     required to clear the smaller center section on the Vega GT
     rims), and the entire thing lowered just a bit with homemade
     spacers front & rear. Additionally, she has a ribcase trans.,
     3.91 final drive (as opposed to the stock 4.22), a 6-point
     roll cage with removable side bars, and 5-point
     harnesses for both driver and passenger.
          Overall it makes for a quick, fun, and still
     streetable vintage toy.

          And with two weeks to go and mucho to do, I'd better get
home & do, and write more tomorrow ....

          cheers-
                    daren