re: starter relay?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: re: starter relay?
From: pschauss@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 94 20:14:57 EST
marty gladman u <glad0590@mach1.wlu.ca>  writes:

>>   I own a '77MGB and love it to death(probably literal in
>> alternator.  The starter somtimes works fine too.  I do belive the problem

to be this little black box that I think is the relay.  (*the one that I
cleaned up). ...
>> ... .  Could somone please describe the origonal part
>> to me, and tell me the problems with it?  Should I go to the scrap yard
>> and hope to find a match to my current one?  Am I on the wrong track?

The starter relay on mine (1980 MGB) is a black can about 1" diameter and
1 1/2" high.  It is black and has a schematic of the relay engraved on the
top,
complete with terminal id numbers ( 87, 86, 85, 30/51).  My car has two of
them, one forward of the fuse box and one behind it.  The forward one is
the ignition relay and the rear one is the starter relay.  The Vicky Brit
catalog
lists them for $12.95 each.

I replaced the starter relay on mine and temporarily cured my starting
problems.  Two years later, however, when the problem recurred, I replaced
my starter with a rebuilt unit.

Good luck
Peter Schauss                        email: pschauss@aol.com
1980 MGB