Historic Races, Britcar Faces

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Historic Races, Britcar Faces
From: SEFisher@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 94 12:09:35 EDT
Here's the SOL schedule for the upcoming Historic Races
at Laguna Seca Raceway, Monterey, California, this Friday
through Saturday:

Of the people I know who are going to be at Laguna Seca only
one of the two days, that day is Saturday, so we'll plan to meet
that day.  The best place I can think of to meet -- that is, a
spot that can't be closed, moved, torn down, or otherwise
unavailable, since this seems to be my year for picking such
spots -- is the foot of the Dunlop bridge between turns 3 and 4,
at the infield end of the bridge (not the end by the lake).

For those who've never been, each day at the Historics is basically
made up of two parts: practice from 9 AM to just before noon,
and racing from about 1 PM till 4:30 or so.  Between these two
parts, there's a lunch break, a parade of featured marque vehicles,
and usually some special exhibition laps in which star drivers
associated with the marque in question take out various significant
vehicles.  This year I'll bet it'll be Phil Hill in some older Ferrari F1
cars, for instance, or who knows, Alain Prost isn't working these
days, maybe they'll have him. :-)  (It won't be Berger or Alesi, as
they're going to be in Belgium trying to catch Michael Schumacher.)

So my recommendation is this: let's all congregate at the infield end
of the Dunlop bridge on Saturday at about 11:30.  This has several
advantages:

  - it's a pretty good viewing spot for people who want to watch the
     last few minutes of Group 7A's warm-up (1966-1983 Formula 1)

  - we'll be near the food vendors before the lunchtime rush (lunch
     starts at 11:45)

  - the bridge is still marked on the official map that SCRAMP sent
     me along with my tickets, so presumably it's still there

At least one Britcars list member will also be driving in the Ferrari
parade, maybe two, so this allows time for them to get the car into
the staging area.

I recommend that those of us who are going to be staying in the area
(or at the track, in my case) should also, during the lunchtime meeting,
pick a spot to meet after the last race of the day and we can arrange
to caravan into Monterey for dinner or other entertainment.  We can
wrangle that one out in person, though.  It also means that if we come
across any other SOLs who missed the lunchtime spot, we can tell
them where the evening get-together will be.  (Sharon Oblinger and
her husband, who will be coming up from Los Angeles, have recommended
a British pub, but it's one of those places where they know how to get
there but not how to give directions, so we may follow her and get
lost on somebody ELSE's watch this time! :-)

Comments and problems, of course, to me -- better send them to the AOL
address (SEFisher@AOL.com), as I'm still playing System Administrator Man
at work this week.

--Scott "And yes, I *will* have the MGB this time" Fisher