To Corrupt or Rebuild???

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: To Corrupt or Rebuild???
From: hld@inel.gov (Douglas L. Heiser)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 1994 16:51:51
I am sure that this question has been asked before, but I have only been on
this list for a few weeks, so be gentle...
I have a '62 Triumph Herald, No rust, very few dents, that I rescued from a
field in Montana about 10 years ago. My father and I dissassembled the car (it
did run) 8 years ago before his death. I have been packing around a dozen
boxes of parts and the body bits for the last 8 years (and 5 moves).
To the point, I'm finally thinking of putting the thing back together- but
would like some advice on a key issue: Rebuild original engine (Standard 1200
cc?) or replace with something reliable (like a Japanese drivetrain). What I
want to end up with is a driveable car.
Additional info: The original engine, while it ran when dissassembled,
definitely was in need of pistons, rings (none were in fewer than 8 pieces
when disassembled), and cylinders needed re-bored. Starter gear and ring gear
also shot.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug Heiser hld@inel.gov