Re: teleportation of brit-car parts

To: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Subject: Re: teleportation of brit-car parts
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 1994 16:06:40 -0500 (CDT)
John Lupien writes >

> I have a tool that helps a lot with that problem. It is a long flexible
> shaft with a plunger at the handle end that activates three little grabbers
> at the far end.

This indispensable tool is called a "gotchya".  I was first introduced to
it by a photomicroscopist at 3M's Central Research Labs.  The electron
microscope sat on a vibration-isolated section of floor and he was always
dropping small objects into the gap.  I would walk into his lab, and find
him lying on the floor fishing around for a pencil or the like, and all of
a sudden he would exclaim "GOTCHYA!"

We began using that as the name for the device, and I have spread that to
my car buddies.  Fair exchange.  I have introduced the expression "brain fade"
in my non-car associates over the years.

BTW, my gotchya has four little grabbers.  I could not get along without
it whilst working on cars, as my ability to drop small parts is legendary.