hood louvers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: hood louvers
From: "Vaughan K. Scott" <scottv@rpi.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 13:37:43 -0400
        I have just about finished the modification/expansion of the
original hood louvers on my '76 TR7, and thought I might share this with the
list.  The modification consisted of widening the existing louvers, and
adding more behind the originals.  This will allow more air to excape from
the engine compartment (both at speed and standing still), decreasing
static air pressure behind the radiator, thereby increasing the air flow
rate across the radiator.  This is a reproduction of a modification done
to the BL Factory rallye cars, and does work.

Downside is that you will then have to have your hood (or whatever panel
you put the louvers on) repainted, but they are easy to make, and can be
used anywhere on any car.  With a little smoothing, and a good paint job,
they can look great (I still have to do the smoothing and painting).
If anyone wants me to post the instructions for this mod, let me know.

Vaughan Scott           Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
scottv@rpi.edu          Troy, NY