My MGB is in drydock

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: My MGB is in drydock
From: KMWHEELER@ualr.edu
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 1995 00:33:11 -0600 (CST)
About a month and a half ago a compression test revealed that the rings
in #1 and #4 of my 1975 MGB had had a little too much fun.  What started
out as a simple re-ring and cam-up has turned into a full blown restoration.
I have had this car since 1986.  The little car looked okay, but really
needed major cosmetic attention.

About three years ago I rebuilt the engine.  Last winter I rebuilt and
uprated the suspension.

I planned to replace the rings, install a cylinder head that I had shipped
over from the UK, put in a Piper 285 cam, a new exhaust, and return the
old beast to her role as daily driver.  But then I got a great deal on
five quarts of black lacquer, and bought new carpet, upholstry, and
dash.  I have some great black seats that came from a parts car, and I
bought a new fender (right rear) to replace the bondo sculpture currently
on the car.

I was a little nervous when I took a chisel to that bondo covered fender
to see how bad the damage really was.  Ugh.  The guy who did the 'repair'
should have been a sculptor!  Have of the fender was fake.  So far, I've
pulled the gauges, the interior parts, and seats.

My tach was in need of some touch up.  The paint on the pointer had flaked
off, and a spot by the lower screw in the face was bubbled.  I removed
that bad area, and repainted with flat acrylic enamel model paints.  The
tach looks great.

Next week I'm going to the local brit car place and pick up my fender, and
new door skins.  I've never replaced a welded on fender before.  But, I'm
in too deep now anyway.

-Keith 'I've always wanted a new MGB' Wheeler