Re: Jaguar XJS reliable?

To: ldauksa@on.bell.ca (Linas Dauksa)
Subject: Re: Jaguar XJS reliable?
From: southern@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU (Lawrence Buja)
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 95 12:22:50 MST
Linas asks....
{Is a Jaguar XJS reliable?  In Canada, new they sell new for about $70,000.
{A five to seven year old sells for $10-$20,000.  Thats quite a difference.
{I don't see this happen with Porsches.

 The current (Jan '95) issue of "British Car" has a large article on
 buying a used XJS.  The line that I remember was "Just because you can
 get it for a price of a Chevy, don't expect that the maintenance and
 upkeep costs will be the same as for a Chevy."

 Did you notice that I didn't answer your primary question?

{Is this because they get very expensive to maintain?

 Yup and very expensive to fix once they do break.  You don't buy these
 cars to save money, you buy them to enjoy them and try not to think
 about the cost.

{Should I look at the 6 cylinder sedan instead?

 It depends on what you want from your new car.  Once you drive a 12-cyl
 XJS, it'll be hard to be satisfied with something different.  That is,
 until you have to do some work on the engine or the complex electrical
 system.  But, by all means, do test drive one, they are incredible...

{I am looking for a reliable daily driver.

 Hummmm, an XJS might be a poor choice based on this criteria.  In my
 experience, Jags make good second cars.  I'm not sure I'd recommend one
 as your only means of transport.

{Anything especially to look for when purchasing a used Jag?

 Yup, the _very_ most important thing to look for when purchasing a used
 Jag is a real Jaguar mechanic who can spend an hour carefully checking
 the car out for you before you buy it.  Seriously, based on the
 questions you've asked here, you are not familiar with these cars.  The
 Jag mechanics will be and they'll know what to check for.

 Have them _really_ drive it and check the performance, gearbox,
 drivetrain, handling and body sway.  Have them do a compression test.
 Have them put it on a lift and check for leaks (steering, engine,
 trans), accident repairs, rust or PO (Previous Owner) kludges.

 If trouble is found, you can either adjust the price accordingly
 (thereby recovering the cost of the inspection) or pass on the car.  If
 it checks out OK, you've just bought some peace of mind.  Either way,
 it's a win.

 And, if you aren't going to do the work yourself, your mechanic will be
 familiar with the car and can fix it for you once you do buy it.

 Below are some XJS problems which were reported on the jag list:

/\      Lawrence "Step 1: Remove Engine and Transmission" Buja
  \_][  southern@ncar.ucar.edu  National Center for Atmospheric Research
      \_________________________Boulder,_Colorado___80307-3000__________