Re: TR4 front pulley removal.

To: searle@indigo.ucdavis.edu (Philip A. Searle)
Subject: Re: TR4 front pulley removal.
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 19:59:00 -0800
Phil Searle asked-
>Quick question: how hard will it be to remove the front pulley from my TR4
>engine. I need to examine my rattling timing chain one day. Ok, I know, use
>an air tool on the pulley bolt. Trouble is I'm 8000 miles from home (where
>all my good tools are) and live in an apartment. Anyone have an inspiring
>tale of how they replaced theirs by the roadside in the rain? Just looking
>for some encouragement...

I rented an electric impact wrench once when I removed a similar bolt from
a '67 Ford Falcon.  It worked, but not as quickly as an air impact.  I know
it's not a roadside solution (110V) but it might be a good apartment
solution.  I didn't feel it was worth buying due to it's lack of jolt.

Another possibility might be to find a friend with a portable air tank and
an impact wrench, who might be willing to travel to Davis and visit.  I
might be convinced to make the trip and loan the wrench, but I have no
portable air supply.  (My wife attended UCD, and we still like to visit
occasionally.)

Perhaps you could loosen it at a nearby garage, then drive it home, tight
but not torqued down soild?  I would expect there to be plenty of stick
keeping the pulley on.

Happy wrenching!!  sf