Speedometer problems

To: "british Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedometer problems
From: "Bob McLaughlin" <macmail!Bob_McLaughlin.SERVICE@physio.wa.com>
Date: 16 Jan 1995 12:04:57 U
I'm in need of some speedometer advice.  I recently replaced the cable
assembly in my '71 TR6.  It has never had a working speedometer since I have
owned the car, so I can't attest to it's previous operation.
Anyway, to the problem.  At very low speeds, the speedo fluctuates wildly.
At 20 to 30 MPH  reads slightly higher than actual with little fluctuation.
At 50 MPH, the thing reads 90 and is very steady.
Has anyone experienced inaccurate speedometer readings like these?  I am
aware that tyre size can affect the readings, but I have the stock 185-15X
tyres on.
I doubt the new cable could be the cause, seems unlikley anyway.
Now what do I do?  Are there any tests available?  Advice apprecieated..