STILL Spit Troubles...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: STILL Spit Troubles...
From: tomstory@slip.net (Thomas Story)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 16:05:20 -0800
Thanks so much to everyone who replied about my Spit starting troubles.
I've set the distributorto fire on No 1. cylinder...still not starting. I
tried switching the plug wires around, nothing. The engine turns over very
fast, it's not sluggish at all, but it's not even making an attempt to
start. Question...Could there be something so completely out of whack with
the carb (Stromberg 150CD4) as to not start? I've pulled the fuel line out
if the carb, and it's getting fuel...What should the timing be> It's a 1500
engine, with a Delco-Remy vacuum advance distributor...I know I could have
someone move the distributor while I turn it, but I'd like to be in the
ballpark first. The Haynes manual(all I have) does not give a static timing
mark for the 1500 engine, but gives 2 ATDC for strobe. I know (think?) this
has something to do with my problems, as the engine has good compression,
fuel(?) and air, and the sparks plugs are sparking. I'm sure there's a
super easy answer to this problem...This is my first experience with
British cars, having been a VW follower in the past, so the water cooled
mysteries are starting to unfold! Thanks so much for any and all help.

"Damned little things, and they're new!
Cut just like regular chickens?
Cut just like regular chickens."