Importing a car into the UK from the US

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british cars list)
Subject: Importing a car into the UK from the US
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 14:49:05 +0000 (GMT)
hi

A guy in the US (Berkley?) with a TR4 recently mailed me about importing a
car into the UK from the US. I seem to have lost his mail, so I've decided
to bomb the list ...

Here is how I moved my TR4 from San Jose, California to the UK in 1990:

Eurocar California (213-764-4294) was the shipper, Los Angeles to
Milton Freight Terminal (near Abingdon), UK. Car shipped in container
for $810: 690 shipping + 120 insurance ($6000 cover). They also
deal with paper work at the UK end (Kingston International Ferry Services
(0482-74116) & Offa, the Milton handlers).  McElley Auto Transport
(415-449-6312) hauled the car to LA for $275.

Heres where a certain amount of trust was needed - I gave the driver
of the haulage rig the car, bankers drafts, California title &
the Pink Slip (certificate of ownership) .... and hoped for the best.

The above was, unfortunately, all necessary. However, they didnt drive
off laughing into the sunset, instead my car showed up about four
weeks later, just prior to Christmas. I then had to pay 221 Pounds
for UK handling (through Felixstowe) and 382 Pounds Customs duty.
Customs wanted to see the Bill of Sale, which I couldnt produce as it was
with my effects somewhere on route from California. I wrote a letter
explaining what I paid for the car & they calculated the duty accordingly.

I had some work done on the car (rebuilt cylinder head & MoT compliance),
insured it & took it to (Bournemouth) Vehicle Licensing where a 1963
number plate was issued. I wanted a '62 as thats when the car was built
but the US docs said '63 plus the car would have required further inspection,
plus it was raining hard, plus etc.,etc., so I gracefully paid for a years
road tax. This registration process is free & you get the next available
number as if it was 1963.

And thats about it!

Hope this is of some use.  I think my costs are about average, but I would
not be surprised if someone manages this for less.

Regards, Adrian
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk