FED UP! (MGB fuel pump)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: FED UP! (MGB fuel pump)
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:29:06 -0500
When I got my '73 B the fuel pump (an aftermarket unit of Australian
manufacture) was iffy at best, getting stuck if the car sat for more than a
week or two.  To solve the problem I bought a NEW SU-Butec pump about a
year ago.  Out of the box it didn't work, I had to open it to clean the
points before it would function at all.  Now the same evil is befalling me,
when the car sits for more than a week or two it sticks.  The last episode
not even healthy whacks with the hub hammer had any impact.

So, suggestions?   I understand that SU-Butec is now selling a pump without
points, is this any good?  Or what other drop-in remedies are available?

A. B. Bonds