Re: OIL LEAK

To: "Mike Shaddick" <mikshdik@ozemail.com.au>,
Subject: Re: OIL LEAK
From: "The Becketts" <hillman@bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:02:52 +1000
Mike,

I have a fair bit of blowby in my Range Rover stroker EFI V8 which is
getting near to rebuild time.  The oil seems to get pumped up through the
flame trap into the plenum chamber.  I know this is the route because some
of the oil leaks back and dribbles out the air cleaner drain.

Also after an extended engine overrun (e.g., after a long run down winding
mountain S-bends with a trailing throttle), oil gets pumped up and out of
the dipstick tube and over the exhaust manifold.  Much smoke ensues!  The
previous owner had a spring to pull the dipstick down hard into the tube.  I
lost the spring not long after buying the car 4 years ago but have just
refitted it.  It helps keep the oil in the engine.

Regards,

Ron Beckett
Range Rover 4.6L Auto "The Last Aquila"
======

 Mike Shaddick wrote:

Perhaps someone has been down this road before.  The P5B restoration
project that I have, consumes (leaks) vast amounts of engine oil.  This is
not a standard leak.  The car will stand there the whole day withour losing
a drop.  But start the engine and it's one full sump for every tank of
petrol (gas).  Flame traps are clear, so it is pumping out from somewhere
else.  Any thoughts before I get down and dirty (lit)?