3.5 -> 3.9 resleeve vs. 3.9 block purchase

To: TR7/TR8 List <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>,
Subject: 3.5 -> 3.9 resleeve vs. 3.9 block purchase
From: Kevin Burtch <efitr8@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 19:58:01 -0500 (EST)
(Note: crossposted to TR8 list and Rover V8 list)

I'm wondering what is more cost-effective... buying a set of sleeves
and having my 3.5L block opened up to 3.9L, or buying a used 3.9L
block, and going from there.

I figure I'm going to replace the pistons either way, and since I
have a complete 3.5L engine, I already have the rods, crank, etc.,
so basically, I'm wondering how much I can get a 3.9L block for,
and how much it costs to have a block resleeved (I know I can get
the sleeves themselves from RB for about $145).
Everything after that should cost the same either way.

I seem to remember an engine importer selling rebuildable Rover
V8s for $395... but that was years ago, and I can't remember
who it was. I know most salvage-yards that have Rovers want a
_serious_ premium for the engines (one on ebay has a regular
buy-it-now price of almost $1800!)... hard to believe it's
cheaper to get them from across the pond.

Too bad I never ever see one in U-Pull-It... the fixed engine price
of $100 is awesome! (I've seen more than a couple Jag V12s in there
that I've _really_ had a hard time resisting)

Thanks!
Kevin Burtch
    1976 TR7 FHC w/dealer-installed sunroof
    1980 TR8 DHC EFI (with a tired 115K engine)
    Spare EFI TR8 engine yanked from a scrapyard P6B