Re: A dumb wheel bolt circle question

To: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Subject: Re: A dumb wheel bolt circle question
From: pethier <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 12:14:52 -0500
rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM wrote:

>      Hi Erik,
>
>      Those wheels actually had "Spitfire" cast into them.  The only
>      disadvantage was that the offset was fixed at whatever was considered
>      optimum for a Spitfire.... fortunately, not too far from Elan optimum
>      provided some creative wheelwell redesign was done.

Hmm.  The BWA Sportstars (four-spoke) I have on my Europa are 13x6 and
have neither "Spitfire" nor "Lotus" cast anywhere on them.  The offset
is just enough to miss the rear trailing arm.  I can run 185-60-13 tires
all round.  I don't know if this is the same offset as the ones you
have.

These wheels are the same kind used on Steve Carter's dear departed
Europa S1.  Those were lost with the car in a shop fire.

My set were bought in 1991 as takoffs from a Europa in Portland Oregon.

If needed, I could measure the offset for you.  Although I am still
really messed up from moving, I adtually know where these wheels are
located!

Phil Ethier

Phil