Re: a couple questions

To: pete-3@juno.com
Subject: Re: a couple questions
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 00:06:59 EST
In a message dated 3/16/99 12:23:02 PM Mountain Standard Time, pete-3@juno.com
writes:

<< 1.  Is the gas pedal supposed to be very touchy?  My roadster's pedal is
 so touchy that it took me about two weeks after I got it before I could
 start out of first without racing the engine.  Is this adjustable?

 2.  What does a weak clutch pedal mean?  I didn't think about this until
 I got my Honda civic.  That car's clutch pedal is much firmer than my
 Datsun's.  I can hardly feel my roadster's pedal at all. It also felt the
 same after I replaced the master and slave cylinder last summer.  Is this
 normal or does it mean that something will need replacing soon?

 Thanks for any advice you might have,

 Matt Peterson
 '68 1600

Matt,
If you are having problems with the throttle pedal, check to see if your carbs
have the returns springs on them.  There should be one below each carb, hooked
to the heat shield covering the exhaust manifold.  As far as the clutch pedal
not having a firm feel, it would have more to do with the condition of the
pressure plate than the cylinders.  If the cylinders have any problems, they
would be air in the system, which would cause a "spongy" feel, but if the
pedal goes to the floor too easily, that would mean that you might have weak
or broken springs in the pressure plate.  IS there someone else's roadster you
can try to see if yours is that much different?  The main thing on the clutch
is that it engages fully (doesn't slip) and disengages fully (doesn't keep the
car moving when pedal is all the way down).  I have a Honda Accord and its
clutch pedal pressure is also higher than my 1600's, so this may be normal.

Joseph Berkenbile
70 1600
Albuquerque