Re: Cut those bump stops..

To: "Daniel Neuman" <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>,
Subject: Re: Cut those bump stops..
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 14:54:28 -0500
>       Mike Young heard me griping about the ride quality and asked,"You
>did cut down the bump stops didn't you??"..Uh bump stops...nope..
>I stuck my hand under the car and could not fit my index finger between
>the bump stop and frame!!!! The suspension had been bottoming out at
>the slightest bump!!! Mike suggested cutting them in half. But that still
>seems pretty shallow. How far can I cut them down??  What is the downside
>if any to cutting them down??

If you cut them down too much, it can allow the shock to bottom out,
destroying the internal valving. Been there, done that, on a new set of
Konis. OUCH!

Don't get me wrong, they can be cut, just be conservative. Maybe someone
either knows how much space remains between the axle and the frame in the
suspension is (very gently) bottomed out, or has their rear suspension
apart and can make the measurement. If this space remaining is (for
example only) an inch and a half, I'd leave the bump stop at least an
inch and three quarters since it will compress some under load.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@airmail.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)