Re: lightson, no turn signals

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: lightson, no turn signals
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 20:51:37 -0700
Ya.
        You have a cross-circuit between the running light and the turn
signal.  If it isn't a whacked bulb (already sagely suggested) check the
lamp bases carefully to make sure one center contact isn't touching the
other.  If not, it's a matter of tracing the wiring out to see where
power's leaking.  Check, especially, the wires under the front fenders
and in the trunk, as cross-circuiting can happen pretty easily there.
Got that tool box strapped down well???
        What's happening is that the turn filament is getting (some) power
somewhere else.  THe flasher relies on a pretty specific current to
flash at the magical 2-3 flashes per second rate.  If there's a bigger
current draw (like you're pulling a trailer with extra bulbs) it flashes
more rapidly.  If it's slower or not at all, there's less current, like
when a bulb's out, or a contact's going bad.  Or when a bulb's getting
power somewhere else- like the headlight circuit.
Good luck,
Toby

danmerritt@mindspring.com wrote:

> My '70 2000 has a problem I can't seem to resolve.  My turn signals work
> fine when the head lights are off. When I turn the head lights on, the right
> turn signal works fine, but the left one will not.<snip>
 Can anyone offer