Rear end

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear end
From: KWS711@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 20:33:31 EDT
Had a noise in the rear of the car thought was a wheel bearing. Drained the
gear oil and found lots of small metal particles on the magnetic plug.

Question:   1) Can metel get past the inner seal of the bearing into the gear
case?

            2) When removing the rear end, my manual says undo the shackles
and
            drop the rear end. Are the springs loaded to where I'm going to
get                 slammed when I undo the shackles, or will they just drop
down?

Any suggestions-hints to ease of removal would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Kim, 68 SRL311-5015