head studs vs head bolts

To: "datsun-roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: head studs vs head bolts
From: "Steve Barnhouse" <stevebee@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 19:32:28 -0700
OK, since no one offered to buy my 2000, I'm putting it back together
myself.  Maybe I'll have it running in time to celebrate Y2K with Datsun 2K.
That means I'll be periodically pestering the collective you for info and
advice!  So here goes.

Someone mentioned that head studs do a better job than head bolts.  Why is
that?  Is it because they are threaded on 2 ends so there is twice as much
friction?

Also, how do you install studs?  Do you put the head on the block first,
then drop the studs through the head into the block?  How do you get the
threads in the block tight?

Thanks,
--steve
-- 69 2000 -- Boulder Creek CA --