Re: head studs vs head bolts

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: head studs vs head bolts
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 21:50:30 -0700
Strange, isn't it-
        every fall a rash of cars come up for sale!  I, too, will be shining up
the second car this winter in hopes of getting cash come spring...
        The studs work better because, (rumor has it) they're installed into
the block for you, by machining the block to fit the new studs VERY
TIGHTLY.  Threads, by design, don't grip well unless the machining is
pretty good.  So putting a stud into the (relatively) weak cast iron
block means you get the best possible grip on the block.  You then use a
forged nut on the top of the stud, and get better clamping force.
        However, this is more of a racer thing- the stck bolts are designed to
keep the aluminum head on the block under most normal conditions...
Toby