G-head woes

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: G-head woes
From: shifty <shifty@well.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 09:41:30 -0700
I've run into a problem with the head swap on my 1500. Turns out that the
replacement head is not dished for the top of the combustion chamber. It
is flat across except for the valve area. The head does measure up
properly for thickness.

Anyone know what's up with this head? Was it intended to be used with
flat (not domed) pistons?

I took both the old and new heads to the machine shop this morning and
the guy says that he knows of no way to create the dish in the new head.
He happened to have two R16 heads in the shop and they were dished.

My options seem to be to switch to flat pistons or find another head and
start all over. I've already had new seats and valve guides put in the
new head, not to mention the valve job. I was really hoping to not have
to touch the bottom end.

Any info or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Leigh Brooks
San Francisco