U20 head oil plug

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: U20 head oil plug
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:10:40 -0700
Does the front oil gallery plug on the U20 cylinder head serve any useful
purpose?

The machine shop pulled it out during the head rebuild. From what I recall,
there was a 10mm plug in the oil gallery, with a small hole drilled in it.
The plug sits behind the upper timing chain tensioner, and oils the
tensioner through a small hole in the thin gasket, and into the tensioner.
So it looks like the gasket and tensioner blocks the flow of oil anyway,
and only allows a small amount of oil into the tensioner.

I'm wondering if I should bother getting and putting an oil plug in, and
might just mount the gasket and tensioner without it. Any problems doing
this?

Fred - So.SF