U20 Fan clutch

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: U20 Fan clutch
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:08:40 -0700
While looking for a spacer block for my U20 fan, I came across an old fan
clutch assembly, minus the friction expansion band (the clutch part). For
newbies information, back during the smog control days of the 2000's,
Datsun added a fan clutch so the radiator fan would spin free until a
sensor expanded the clutch due to high temperatures. These failed so often
that everyone went to fixed fans.

Are these still available? I was wondering if anyone that installed an
electric fan, also tried simultaneously using the fan clutch. Recently a
friend had overheating problems on a long trip because of a power failure
to his electric fan. My thinking is that if the electric fails, then the
fan clutch could kick in and save the day. Meanwhile, you get a few extra
HP without the drag of the fan. Supposedly, the fan is only useful at low
speeds. Anyone done this?

Fred - So.SF