Rear end questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear end questions
From: KWS711@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 23:11:18 EDT
I'm putting the axles back in after replacing the bearings, etc. and have a
couple of things I need to clarify.

1) The spacers inside the inner seal have a bevel on one side.
Does this go in or out? (I didn't notice when I took them out)

2) There are three holes in the flange on the rear end housing, besides the
four mounting holes. Two of these match up with holes in the gaskets
between the housing and brake backing plate. One of these matches up
with a hole in the grease catcher (housing which holds the outer seal).
The holes in the axle housing had some sort of silicon in them (plugging them
up).
It seems like water and dirt could work it's way through these and
contaminate
the bearing if they were open.

Does anyone know if these should be plugged or left open, and why they
are there??

Thanks for your help!!

Kim
68 2000