Thunderhill Incident

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, williamang@earthlink.net,
Subject: Thunderhill Incident
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 21:49:52 EDT
Hello,

By now most of you had already heard about my off track excursion.  I took
yesterday off from repairing my Roadster but used the time to seriously think
about what had happened the day before.

Well, the day started out fine.  The skies were clear and temps were
moderate.  Although there was a consistant 30-40 mph wind throught the whoe
day which was not only annoying but made standing in the pits miserable.
After a few laps to familiarize the new folks with the track we were back in
the pits.  About an hour later we were on the track again.  I took a few laps
following Kyle Haggeman in his "good looking" 240Z.  After a lap or so I
started applying alittle more speed and "I guess" alittle more pressure to
him.  In the meantime my brother Anthony was following me in his '98 Corvette
C5.  In a couple laps around the 3 mile course Kyle let me pass him and my
brother used his 400hp to pass me on the same straight.

The next five laps I followed my brother through the course.  He would blow
me away on the front straights, the back straights, all straights!  But on
the next set of curves I was able to catch up to him.  We passed several cars
during these laps.  A Porsche Boxter, Acura Integra and a Porsche 948.  But
we were also passed by a Pantera in the process.  ;>)

After the fifth or so lap Anthony let me pass he and I took the lead.  The
car felt good and solid.  Brakes were hard and felt very postive.  Even after
all of those hot laps they were biting just right with just alittle fade.
But what was most impressive was the great grip of the BFG R1 tires.  I was
running with a set of 185-60x14's on my Shelby Libras.  Things were looking
great although the car just didn't seem to have the top end that it used to
have.  Anyway, things were still looking good and I was looking forward to
really opening it up.

Turn one up ahead and I hit the line just right at about 95-100mph which set
me up for turn two.  Somehow I lost the line when I looked in the rearview
and noticed an Acura NSX closing in on my bumper.  I saw #2 just ahead and I
knew that I was just too hot!  I had maybe two seconds to react and I spent
half of it thinking, "Oh S___!"  I tried to turn in alittle early as I knew I
was going to slid off couse.  Well,  we took the turn and the rear end swung
out.  Momentum had already built up as the right front hit the dirt.  The car
spun halfway and I was somehow able to keep it from spinning on the dirt.  I
hit the brkaes and held the wheel straight as I skidded backwards at 50+
thought the dirt.  I hit a small ditch and came to a stop.  I tried to start
the car but it wouldn't start.  Just as well, when I got out I noticed that
my R/R wheel was destroyed in the process.  I also noticed that my tailpipe
was packed solid with dirt and weeds.  The cars body was not damaged at all
but most importantly, neither was I.  The tow track arrived and dragged me
and my Roadster out of the field and into the pits.

I look back at this I am so thankful that it ended like it did.  I was so
close to a possible rollover.  I shudder from an unknown feeling when I
reflect on this incident.  How the heck did I get out of that?!  Well, whats
more important is how can this be avoided and how can I express to others how
important it is to....?  I just dont know.  When I was on the track I just
wanted to earn a kick-ass time around the track but in the process I almost
lost my life.  Is it that important to gain one or two seconds a lap?  Is it
that important to beat that stoplight?  No it isn't.    When the car came to
a stop I remember my first thought was of my wife Mary and our soon to be
born baby.

I will be back on the track again this October at Laguna Seca and I know for
sure that I will not be looking for those elusive two seconds.  I look
forward to the thrill of speed and handling this fall.  But in a safe and
responsible manner.  And this time I am removing the rearview mirror.  ;>)

Take care out there!

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL311-000248 Solex
San Francisco, Ca