OT Re: Sprite Lurker Speaks plus a spam forward

To: toyman@digitex.net, Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT Re: Sprite Lurker Speaks plus a spam forward
From: Mark <captainhoek@postmark.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 10:29:42 -0600
Can't really help you on the Solexes, Brad, but I do have some
suggestions for spammers.  I was getting a half dozen a day for a
while there.  First, NEVER REPLY TO A SPAMMER.  All that does is to
confirm that you are a real live target.  For the same reason, never
try to unsubscribe by following a link the spammer provides.  Second,
go to

http://www.cauce.org

and get educated.  There's a ton of good info there.  Third, DO be kind to the
dear spammer!  HE obviously likes spam, right?  So help him out!  Go to

http://www.globalhighway.com/guestbook.html

and sign him up!  (Assuming you have a legit email address for him.
More on that in a minute.)  This is a site that sells spamming
software.  If you are stupid enough to actually sign their guest book,
what kind of list do you think your name goes on?  Oh, this company
also SELLS lists to spammers.  Are you getting the picture?  <VBG>

And while we're being kind to the spammer, we should not forget to
call him if he provides an 800 number.  After all, we don't want him
to feel rejected, do we?  So CALL! And talk. And talk.  And talk.
Repeatedly.  Many 800 numbers cost per call AND per minute.  Uh, don't
call from your home phone.  Caller ID, you know.  It works for 800
numbers even if you have it blocked.  Some digital cell phones block
it anyway, though.  <grin>

Third, learn to spot phony headers.  Most mail programs don't show the
full email headers, as this is a pain to wade through.  But they will
let you see them if you choose.  Learn to read the full headers, and
then go to

http://network-tools.com/1/

and look up his IP address.  Chances are it's forged, but if not you
now have a way to report him.  If he's using an overseas provider,
don't contact them.  They make their living harboring spammers.  Guess
who they'll likely sell your name to!  If it's stateside, look up the
provider and see if they have an anti-spam statement and contact
point.  If they do, nail the puke.  They'll cancel his account real
fast!  If he has a web site (PLEASE, people, it's web SITE, not
SIGHT!!!!) you may be able to get his hosting service to kill his
site. Heh heh heh heh. I've had the pleasure of doing that several
times.  It's really nice to go back to the URL of a spammer and get
404! And learn to right click on a web page to see the code.  You may
see some real email address buried in it.  Then you can sign the
spammer up at his REAL email address for some spam of his own!  <grin>
Oh, I've had great fun doing this one!

And, yes, if the idiot provides the name of a REAL company, do forward
every spam you get.  But be careful - if it's just a web site company
they may just collect and re-sell your name.  Only do this if you have
confirmed that it's a legitimate company!

The more you know, the more you can do about it!

Have fun!