Re: Its not a roadster AC (no tech content)

To: bstrachan@home.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Its not a roadster AC (no tech content)
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 18:50:35 EST
In a message dated 03/14/2000 8:26:29 PM Mountain Standard Time,
bstrachan@home.com writes:

<< I'm sure you young whipper snappers on the list have never seen one, but
 us old pharts remember the car window style swamp coolers that were
 popular in the '50s. These things were cylindrical, about 8" in diameter
 and maybe 16" long, and they had a long rectangular projection coming
 out the side.  You put this projection, which was the air vent, in your
 window and rolled up the glass to hold it in place.  You then put some
 water in the pan in the bottom of the cylinder and pulled a little chain
 which dangled out of the vent.  Pulling the chain rotated a cylindrical
 excelsior (shredded wood) pad inside the cooler through the water,
 moistening it.  When you got underway, air from the slipstream entered
 the cylinder through a hole in front, evaporated water from the pad,
 giving up heat in the process, and cool, moist air came into the car.
 They worked well in Wendover, Utah, where the summer temps were usually
 right around 100 degrees and I don't think the relative humidity EVER
 got above 20%.

 In case you guys think I'm making this up, there is one of these coolers
 hanging from the ceiling of Majors Diner, a '50s style old-cars theme
 roadhouse on Interstate 8 about 40 miles up in the mountains east of
 here.  I have lots of fun taking younger friends in there and asking
 them if they can identify the mystery object.

 Barrie
 '66 2000
 San Diego
 ---- >>

Barrie,

OK, here's another one.  What were the little prisms for, that sat on the
dash of cars in the early 50's.  I certainly do remember the "swamp coolers".
We had one on our '50 Plymouth wagon, I think.

Joseph Berkenbile
70 1600
Warren Me