Re: Topless and more

To: "Daniel Beatty" <daniel@seaport.net>
Subject: Re: Topless and more
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:54:08 -0600
I bought my zip out rear window, canvas top from Stan about a year ago.  (It
also has the material
that covers up the sides of the top frame).  I am quite pleased with the top,
but, if I had it to
do over I would do things differently.

Since the folks that make Stan's tops are not a full top production shop they
have variations in
the tops.  In particular, I have an low windshield car (67.5).  The cur of the
top around the rear
of the door glass, at the top is nowhere close to where it should be.  The top
overlaps the glass
by a good 2~3".  If I roll up the windows with the top up I can't open the
doors because the window
is far up under the lip of the drip edge.  If I roll the window up with the
door open, then close
the door, the window sits up higher than the drip edge and just guides water
into the interior of
the car!  I was in a hurry to get the car back to Texas, so I had the top put
on before I got out
to California, otherwise I would have had the nstalling shop recut the top for
a better fit.

I really like the zip out rear window.  We drove most of the way back to Texas
with the top down,
except for about 150 miles in New Mexico and a bit past El Paso Txexas when it
was just a bit too
hot to run topless.  The extra wind was a great relief!

As for the covers over the side frames (like the high windshield cars have), I
would probably not
get them next time.  When the top is up they look great, but when the top is
folded the extra layer
of material makes for a rather bulky fold, making the top hard to get to fold
all the way down.

The top material is great and for the most part the quality of the workmanship
is well above
average.  Would I buy another top of the same type?  I am not sure.  I think it
would be a
tough decision between Stan's and a high end canvas top that costs much more.

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Hardware Guru
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885, UUCP:cs.utexas.edu!horne