rear axles again

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: rear axles again
From: Geegc@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 21:56:42 EDT
Those of you who know me know that I am the proud (excessively say those of
you who know me well) original owner of a 1966 1600 and the recent owner of a
1968 solex 2000.

About two or three years ago I noticed that one rear wheels was making noise
and rubbed on the inner wheel well.  Yup, it was a case of bad bearings and
axles.  So after resort to the list, I was able to get two good used axles
(from CDM) and had the bearings redone and axles replaced.  My college age
son sold his car earlier this year, and asked if he could use the 1966 until
he got a new used car.  (I think he had the Datsun in mind all along.)  Good
dad that I am, I said sure, but remember to check the oil, and don't abuse
the clutch.

He and his gf went up to the San Bernardino mountains this weekend, and on
the way home, on the freeway (thankfully not in the mountains), he noticed a
wobbling from the rear and smelled smoke.  He pulled over, jumped out of the
car and saw that the rear tire was on fire!  It went out by itself.  Since
Jay Leno was occupied elsewhere, he called AAA.

The preliminary verdict - axles again, and I haven't even seen the car.

Sooo, does anyone on the list have good rear axles for sale or barter, and a
recommendation for a place to put them in in Los Angeles.  CDM is too far to
trailer the car.

Thanks much.

Gary C
1966 axleless 1600