Valve adjustment/noise

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Valve adjustment/noise
From: jschmi7@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 10:09:29 -0500
I have had this problem ever since a rebuild several years ago.  If I
adjust my valves to proper settings when hot, ie. .008 - in and .012  - ex
I get excessive noise from one of my valves.  I resorted to using a hose as
a stethescope and ran the engin without the valve cover until I pinpointed
the noise to, I thought #3 exhause.  So I adjusted it tighter until the
noise subsided to a reasonable amount.

Yesterday I decided it was time to do a complete tuse and readjusted my
valves to all proper settings.  Again the noise is back.  Rather than just
adjust the valves to an unacceptably tight setting, I thought I would ask
the group if anyone else has had this malady.  And, does anyone have any
suggestions as to what may be causing the problem.

I would really rather not pull the head, at least until the snow flys, but
would like to have the use of the car until then, if possible.  I have a
feeling that it is a miss cut valve(some were replaced at rebuild) or
rocker pad worn or sometning like that.

Thanks in advance for the help.

John Schmitt    Telecommuter Office # - 847-458-7829
   Internal phonemail only  -  847-240-4725      pager pin#  800-759-8888
pin 8710561