OT off topic hybrid car stuff (long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: OT off topic hybrid car stuff (long)
From: Ken Smart <Ken.Smart@tip.csiro.au>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 13:35:54 +1000
This story is sort of interesting and car related but not roadster related.

Where I work(CSIRO), I work in the electromagnetics and antennas group, I
work in antennas but some of the group work on electric motors. Recently
they worked on a number of hybrid cars. One was for a consortium of parts
manufactures to flog there technology round the world. Anyway one of the
guys Stephen is just back from Korea and Japan. They went to a motor show
in Korea then visited car manufactures in Korea then on to Japan. He was
amazed at the size of the car manufactures, they would set up the car like
on a motor show stand and employees and even directors of the companies
would visit and hear presentations on the car. From the pictures he showed
this took place in the foyer very large room. At Toyota while they were
standing around talking the staff etc the word came round that Dr Toyota
(son or descendant of original Mr Toyota) was coming down to see the car.
Well this caused a great deal of panic and excitement amongst the Toyota
staff, one came up to Stephen grabbed him and said excitedly "Dr Toyota is
coming!" When he arrived they were just about bowing on the floor. We could
not think of anyone in out organization or even country that would command
that much respect.
Toyota produce a serial-(electric-hybrid) car and apparently hope to have
all their cars hybrid by 2005.
Everywhere they went they were put in very nice surroundings except Subaru
where they were in an old shed. When they asked why they were told the
parent company is in financial trouble and taking money out to save its self.
Here are some links with some info on the car.(the actual car is a lime
green colour designed to look good 'under lights' but thas about the only
place)
http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/csiro.html
http://www.australiaforbusiness.com.au/industries/ausindustry_case.asp?Indus
tryID=20&IndustryCSID=113

Ken Smart
67.5 1600(sr20de)
Sydney Australia

Also...the following is from an email written by Stephen regarding a fuel
cell car to be used at the Olympics (just down the road from where we work).

General Motors Opel in Germany have developed a fuel cell powered concept
car, that was unveiled for the first time to the public at the Geneva Motor
Show (March 2, 2000). The car uses a 55 kW electric motor and a
hydrogen-air fuel cell. It has a range of about 400 km on a `tank full',
70 litres, of liquid hydrogen. For further information see
   http://www.generalmotors.com/news/events/geneva00/e/fuel-cell.htm

The car is to play a key role in the games, being the lead vehicle in both
the mens and womens marathon. The cars will also be part of a number of world
media events.

The car requires liquid hydrogen and no liquid hydrogen is produced in
Australia. So you guessed it, we with GM-Opel and Messer are setting up over
the next couple of weeks to produce liquid hydrogen. In the next few days
about a tonne of cryogenic equipment will arrive from Germany, followed in a
week or so by two cars. About 12 to 16 Opel engineers will also come, so these
will be seen around the lab. It is necessary to liquefy the hydrogen in the
courtyard near cryogenics, so there may be some restrictions on people
using this area. Smokers take note !!!!!