Re: Caliper rebuild

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, "Brian St. Jacques" <brian@varatouch.com>
Subject: Re: Caliper rebuild
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 14:35:14 -0700
Brian,

IMHO, it's better to bite the bullet and replace them. If there is some
slight pitting, you can clean them up and lube them with caliper lubricant
(it comes with the rebuild kit). They'll work for a while, but eventually
the pits will cause wear and tear on the rubber seals, and they'll also
trap contaminants. Probably good for a year or so (what I've seen on my
car). If you clean them once a year you may be able to get by with them for
years.

Whatever you do, follow Tom Walter's advice and bleed your brake system every
fall, or twice if you can - beginning of winter and spring. Don't wait for the
fluid to turn dark brown.

Fred - So.SF
BADROC