When do you throw in the towel?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: When do you throw in the towel?
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 15:16:40 PDT
Hello All,

So I am looking at the shredded wheat that is the floor of my trunk and I
also look at the obvious replacement fenders up front and wonder what the
cowls look like underneath and I think "Should I just say screw it and get a
new body shell?"

Now I know that the rusted floor pans can be cut out and patches can be
welded in place. In fact, that is what I have been advised to do. Still,
since I have decided to empty the bank account and do a body off
restoration, should I just eat it and get a new body shell? Now I know that
body shells don't grow on trees, but if I can locate a 67.5 shell in good
condition, should I do it?

I wonder where the line is when you just say "It's not salvagable" "It will
cost more in labor and you still will not be guaranteed you got it all out".
I know my car is nowhere near as bad, but I can't help but think of that 212
that Les Cannaday dragged into his shop. It was a pile of rust held together
with the trim strips he was after.

I think of Paul Strassmaier and his car. He put a new shell on his car and
it looks great. Hell, I am even contemplating buying a 67.5 1600 runner with
a good body and then stealing its shell.

Stupid Rust...

Andre Murphy
SoCalROC

http://profiles.msn.com.