Re: Roadster Bikini top

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roadster Bikini top
From: "spencer" <spencer@thevision.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 19:59:43 -0700
I used an extra top frame for the "bikini top" (we call it a surrey top) on
my 67.5.  The windows were shot anyway so I simply cut the vinyl even with
the top of the windows.  I then stitched the back across the top onto the
rearmost bow.  I also shaped two sticks to firmly spread the last two bows
apart.

When latched in the front, it's fine, firm and fairly flap free at any
speed.  The wood pieces resemble airfoils with notches in front and back (to
accomodate the shape of the edge of the bows).

I also used strips of Velcro to wrap around each bow and back onto the
bottom of the wood spreader so I can rip 'em off, slip the spreader to the
side and drop the top into it's bucket within 20 seconds.  Up takes a little
longer because the top has to stretch a bit to install the spreader, but no
more than a minute and a few grunts.

Also, with the surrey top on and the windows cranked up, the heater does a
fairly good job of keeping the little woman warm and friendly.  Can't go
wrong there!

And, it's neat to be at a stoplight, in the shade, on a HOT day and be able
to quickly unlatch the front and open the top like a clamshell, let the heat
out and the breeze through, then drop it back into place and latch it before
the car ahead even moves.

Besta luck,

Mark in Modesto