Tranny apart, 5th gear and synchros, longish

To: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Tranny apart, 5th gear and synchros, longish
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:41:43 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
To: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: Servo synchros inspection

> Kyle,
>
> There are no worn areas where the rough part has given way to smooth shiny
> metal especially where the ends of the ring are.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike, Roadster list!

I see what you're referring to - on my original trans, with known-bad 1&2
synchros, I can see where the coating has been worn thru.  Very helpful
distinction; I just figgered it was wear on the synchro gear teeth, like
a BW type.

I've got my parts-trans apart, and can't for the life of me figure out
what 5th gear would be welded.

Is it the fifth gear that rides on roller bearings on the mainshaft?  If
so, what gets welded to what?  All I can figure is the gear gets welded
to an internal sleeve that the synchro attaches to?

Or is it fifth gear on the countershaft?  All I could see there is maybe
welding the fifth countergear to the reverse countergear?

For some reason, I always assumed it was the mainshaft gear; I'm really
at a loss - the fifth countergear appears robustly flanged to the counter
shaft; and the fifth maingear appears to be one-piece, sleeve and gear.

I took some pictures, but they didn't work out well, hopefully tomorrow
or the next day.

Incidentally, I was under the impression that 5th gear on the roadster
was a BW type synchro, regardless of the rest of the synchros.  As near
as I can tell, my 5th gear synchro is identical to 1-4.

DatsunMike mentioned previously the difference in the tranny cases - ribbed and
boxed casting webs on the later ones, versus Y-shaped diagonal ribs on
the earlier box.  Is there anything else I need to know about the differences?

My plan is to rob the parts out of the later box (my 'parts tranny') and put
them in my otherwise-fresh broken trans (my 'original trans'); as the original
is very clean with new bearings and the parts one is nast-AY and funk-AY.  So
if there's anything that prevents swapping parts (synchros, shifter ring & fork,
maybe the 2nd main gear).

Does anyone know how the synchro-gear-teeth items are removed from the main
gears?  After removing the large outer C-clip and the inner guts, I'm left
with the main gear and the synchro gear.  The synchro gear appears to be
pressed on to the main gear, held in with some type of springy-clip?

TIA, and sorry to be so long.
Kyle