Re: <OT> Chevy Fuel Injection

To: Chris.Brucciani@ercgroup.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: <OT> Chevy Fuel Injection
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 15:57:00 EDT
In a message dated 9/15/00 8:18:58 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
Chris.Brucciani@ercgroup.com writes:

>  A buddy of mine has a 1995 6 cylinder Chevy Blazer with 73,000 miles.
>  Lately he has been noticing a hard start problem first thing in the
morning.
>  When he get's it cranked, white smoke plumes out.  A little rough running
at
>  first, but once warmed up it runs fine.  He took it to the dealer this
>  morning and they told him that fuel is leaking into the cylinders due to a
>  bad central port injector (or something like this).

Extra fuel usually appears in the exhaust as BLACK smoke, not white. White is
water/antifreeze & grey/blue is oil.

>  thing controls fuel flow to the fuel injectors.

 For 1995 assuming its PORT injection, there is no "central port injector"
unless they are referring to an extra "cold start injector". It does not
control any of the other inj, just adds extra fuel into the manifold (same as
"choking" a car)

You various sensors ( mass air flow or map, water temp, o2, etc) is what
acutually control what the computer tells the injectors to do.

>The said that they have to
>  take the intake off and it would be $1,200 to fix.

Whole thing??? nuh-uh. Fuel rail & plenum maybe, unless something is broken
off & needs machining out.

 They say that failure to
>  fix it will lead to further deterioration and carbon buildup, and possible
>  problems with the catalinic converter and passing emmision inspections.

IF it is injector prob's - yes it can lead to failure. You cat. conv is not
designed to
have raw fuel in it, and will lead to eventual "clog-ation"

I dunno, but I do believe a second opinion is in order here. Granted, they
may have more info than we do here - ya can't really tell until ya get your
hands on these things - BUT things just don't quite jive in this case.

Icky running - most folks don't realize that the o2 sensor should be included
in an annual tune up. it can throw the computer off resulting in a goofy
mixture. Might wanna find out how long since its been changed. If you do
decide to dump "snake oil" in it - the BEST stuff for frixing problems is by
"BG Products" their "44K" in the little black cans w/gold letters is the only
way to go.

Hope this helps!

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311