67.5 SRL(2) + 150 Miles(2) x 1 day =

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, wai@ix.netcom.com
Subject: 67.5 SRL(2) + 150 Miles(2) x 1 day =
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 02:41:53 EDT
Okay... so much for Algebra.  But if you were able to figure out what I am
talking about then you would be just as excited as I was this morning.

Today, I had the opportunity to see for myself what the differences would be
between a 1967.5 SRL Solex (early style) street/track modified and a bone
stock 1967.5 SRL Solex with the later style carbs.

The day started early for me as I was to meet up at Mike Youngs shop in the
Northern Wine Country about 150 north of San Francisco.  At his shop was an
older restoration of a 67.5 SRL2000.  This car  was dropped off at his shop
for me to pick up and drive back to the Bay Area.  I was dropping off my car
to have the 1600 rearend swap performed at his shop.

I drove north on Hwy 101 for about 60 miles and then the road cleared and
suddenly the four lane highway opened up to be my testing ground for my
"impromptu comparo".  As many of you already know, my Sora Blue baby has a
freshly built motor with a set of fresh early style Solex's.  (37mm chokes).
There are also some other motor mods and the suspension is fairly well setup
for my style of driving which includes a fair amount of road course work.

Before I continue, yes I was speeding this Sunday morning on an empty
highway.  Yes I admit that I was breaking the law and it was not the right
thing to do.  Although I thoroughly enjoyed the day it was still wrong.
Okay.... on with the story.

The road was extremely smooth with wide sweeping turns.  Two lanes in each
direction.  Soon enough I was running 4th gear up to 5500rpm.  A shift to 5th
and I cruised along at around 110-115.  The tires stuck wonderfully and the
Solex's never missed a beat.  Each turn was carefully executed and I never
went more than 7/10ths of my ability.  A decent entrance speed was set and I
slowly increased my speed as I exited.  It was so relaxing and at the same
time a thrill to feel what these cars are capable of doing.  Soon I found
myself at a junction to Hwy 175 east.  The road tightened up quite abit as I
made my way up the mountain pass.  This was 2nd and third gear driving at its
finest.  The road was freshly laid and for 30 twisty miles I did not see one
pothole or buckling of the road.  Of course, my tight suspension worked well
and my car hummed along at a decent 190 degrees on this 90+ day.

I arrived at my destination 35 minutes faster then the Yahoo.com map site
said that it would take.  Go figure...?  I talked with Mike Young for about
an hour and I had to leave as I needed to get back to The City early
afternoon.  He brought me the yellow 2000 and it sounded wonderful.  Idling
nicely at 900 rpm I slowly dropped the heavy clutch and was off.  This
original Canadian Solex 2000 was beautiful.  The car sat on its stock springs
KYB shocks and its 185/70x14 tires.  The stock steering wheel and stock shift
lever made me feel very comfortable.  As I drove along the country highway
the stock suspension rolled up and down and side to side as I challenged the
same roads that I traveled this morning.  Although I never broke the tires
loose I could feel that I had just alittle bit more before things got funky.
Fortunatly I bought myself a 4 dollar rev limiter at the nearby Baskin
Robbins.  While one hand was busy holding my Iced Mochachino the other did
the driving.  This kept my speeds way down on this super tight road.  When
the road straightened and I finished my drink I opened up the throttle to see
what this sportscar had in the way of muscle.  From a stop I smoothly took
off and at 6000 I left a nice "chirp" into 2nd gear.  Once again, 6000 rpm
and then "chirp" into 3rd!  Not bad!  The rest of the drive was cruising at
around 75 to 80 mph.  There was even a time when I was tracked down by the
CHP and when he finally pulled up to me he probably saw the words Datsun and
thought, "Nah... couldn't be"

The drive back was pleasent and very comfortable.  It was like driving a
comfortable version of my car.  I didnt get jarred when I ran over those lane
divider bumps.  I didnt feel every crack on Hwy 101.  It was almost
luxurious.  Although I did notice that there was quite a difference with top
end power.  The 37mm chokes do make a pronounced difference when you get into
the power band.  The "early's" kicked on the power with a huge surge and the
"later" version brought the power on strong but very smooth.  Both version
are otherwise great for street driving.

Of the two SRL's which one do I like?  Well, I wouldn't trade in #248 for #
6-- if thats your question.  But this other 2000 was so tight and so
comfortable that I was thinking of adding it to my collection.  Oh, but that
would be wrong.  What would I do with two 67.5's.  So I will be taking some
pics of the car and setting up a photopoint site.  Oh... did I mention that
the car is for sale?

It turns out that this car is owned by an eccentric gentleman that lives in
the Wine Country area.  He has had this car for over ten years and just
doesnt find the time to drive it since he is driving his Ferrari's instead.
It sat inside a garage and collected dust for years.  Well, better in a warm
garage in a warm part of the state then outside.  This guy has no time for a
Roadster List.  No time for the internet.  Hmmm...  okay.  I also think he
want alot for the car.  $16K.  The car is not 100% complete as it is missing
a few parts such as the chrome licence plate ring, the original tach...
Otherwise, this car is sweet.

Take care,

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL311-000248 Solex