steering question

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: steering question
From: "Pam & Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 22:09:13 -0700
I put the tube that surrounds the steering column back in tonight. Quite a
job. Don't try to do this with the windshield on unless you have arms like a
gorilla. It bolts in thru the outside of the firewall, but only about three
inches of the tube sticks out into the engine compartment. In order to line
it up correctly, you have to reach into the passenger's compartment. It's
also impossible to install the tube with the rear carb mounted. Of course, i
also thought it was impossible to lose something as big as the steering tube
in my garage, but that's another story!

My question is, are there spacers or rubber grommets that go into the four
holes that hold the tube onto the firewall? I got the bolts, but no
combination of washers seems to hold the tube centered. Pictures would be
very helpful, or just an explanation as to what I am missing.

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA
67 1600
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=881168&a=6499541