Re: Why I finished 29th at SCCA Nationals

To: "Terry and Donna Cost" <tcost@vvm.com>,
Subject: Re: Why I finished 29th at SCCA Nationals
From: "Rob Robinson" <fastrtime@t-three.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:21:28 -0400
>The tire of choice for the trophy winners
> was Hoosier Autocross in 225-45-13 size, and one of my fellow competitors
> said he had used up 16 of them this season. They remind me of sticky black
> pencil erasers, and last about as long.  They also cost about $150 apiece.
> That's a lot of money

I've been using Hoosier Autocrosser 245/45/15 and Hoosier A3S03 Radial
225/45/15 for several years now, and I consistently get 120 - 130 runs out
of a set before they either harden or wear to the cords. The only other
competition tires I have personal experience with are Yokohama A008Rtu,
A008RS &A008RS2, M&H slicks and Hoosier slicks. The Hoosier DOT bias ply and
radial tires seem to last as long as any of these. If the car isn't set up
right, the driver is hard on the tires, or the car competes in lots of
events, it really won't matter what type of tire you select - you'll go
through several sets each season. Most of the top drivers at Nationals go to
a major event EVERY weekend, and sometimes 2 events per weekend. With a
schedule like that, it isn't hard to imagine going through 16 in a season.

Rob Robinson  (merely average driver)
CSP 67 2000 (above average Roadster)
Roanoke, VA