Re: Solex's vs. SU's (pressurizing the SUs)

To: DemonTSi@aol.com
Subject: Re: Solex's vs. SU's (pressurizing the SUs)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 20:09:49 -0700
Van asks:
> Has anyone ever tried using the SUs in a blow-through turbo application?
> I'm assuming that they won't work because the positive pressure will push
> the pistons up...?

The pistons rise because atmospheric pressure on the bottom of the
piston is greater than manifold pressure applied to the top side. When
you pressurize the manifold, I'm not sure the pistons won't stay firmly
seated!

Presumably, if you encase the ENTIRE carb in the pressure plenum,
it'll work - that is, create an artificial 'atmosphere'. All outside air has
to be accounted for and blocked. Oh yeah - this involves the fuel bowls,
too! You've got to compensate (raise) the pump pressure to adjust for
the added boost as well!

Now you see why EFI is used with blowers...

-- John